IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle November 26, 2010 08:53 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
2 Attachment(s)
P.T.S.D.--Post Thansgiving Stress Disorder:

1."I can't believe I ate the whole thing"--
"Well you did , Ralph!" Alka Selzer commmercial--'70's
2. Yesterday Afternoon--chuckle--a few more later.

axhandle November 26, 2010 12:03 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Black Friday Shopping Riots--even Paul Mcartney was there--on the left.--chuckle--

axhandle November 26, 2010 01:26 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
5 minutes Al.-- Auburn kick off--oh --boy the aftermath will go on for weeks--:)

Ajla November 27, 2010 07:36 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 662917)
P.T.S.D.--Post Thansgiving Stress Disorder:

1."I can't believe I ate the whole thing"--
"Well you did , Ralph!" Alka Selzer commmercial--'70's
2. Yesterday Afternoon--chuckle--a few more later.

Is that Tomaz? Gorgeous!

Garlicluvr November 27, 2010 08:55 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 661679)
P.S. My present project is a Cart to ferry the household trash out to the road for pickup--about 30 yards, making it out of scrap bedrails,some Diamond Wire,good wheels,--and most of all dual purpose--haul mulch and etc around in it--

The "Blue Wrench,(oxacetylene torch), Glows", of late---Ax.

Ax: I have heard the Oxyacetylene torch called a hot wrench but not a blue wrench. Do you do mostly gas welding? I have plenty of choices at the work shop, oxyacetylene, a little 120V portable stick welder, small engine driven portable welder, a nice ESAB multi-process machine Mig/DC Tig/Stick, and a Nice ESAB Tig welder with AC and high frequency start.

For Aluminum and small projects I mostly use the dedicated Tig machine with high frequency start as it gives the best quality weld and changing over from aluminum to stainless or carbon steel is fast just have to change tungsten pure tungsten for aluminum, thoriated for steel, that and a couple dial changes high frequency on for Aluminum start only for steel and AC for aluminum DC for steel. Have even welded lighter gauge copper with this machine up to 1/16" maybe 1/8" use bare copper electrical wire for the filler rod.

For projects with a lot of weld bead I use the MIG or wire feed as it is still very good quality weld with no slag chipping and the fastest method as you just pull the trigger and go no changing rods. Takes a 33lb spool and has pretty good duty cycle. Have the spoolgun for aluminum welding works well once you get the hang of it you just have to move very fast as it really sprays some metal out.

I dont use the stick welder unless there is no other choice, mostly for outdoor work where there is too much breeze to use a gas shielded welder like the Mig or tig it blows the shielding gas away. Or out in the field where I have no power and must use the engine driven welder.

I still like oxyacetylene it is very similar to tig just using flame instead of electric arc and versatile, its portable and you can weld, braze, solder, heat and cut I can get a fine weld on anything except aluminum. I have heard that it is possible to oxyweld aluminum but haven't had much luck with it.


Got back from the inlaws yesterday went up to their place in Western PA for thanksgiving did a little target shooting with the BIL, guy has an arsenal, shot the AK-47, a nice target .45, and a couple of big revolvers 41 mag and 44 mag. He has a tommy gun with the violin case real neat gun, didnt shoot it this time but that one is a lot of fun.

Sounds like you had a good thanksgiving, was good here too. I may get back to bow making in the next couple of days.


Jeff:)

chickweed November 27, 2010 08:57 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Just watched a show on the cooking show about cooking the Ossabaw hog. The Fourcoursemen use all local foods.

axhandle November 29, 2010 07:06 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 663366)
Is that Tomaz? Gorgeous!

I wish ,Ajla one of the prettiest cats I've encountered.
Tomaz wanders in and out sometimes gone for days--he drops by to eat and rest periodically.
Made these a day or so before Thanksgiving, pecan and walnut Kolachi--

1.Tomaz
2.Kolachi

axhandle November 29, 2010 07:20 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 663381)
Ax: I have heard the Oxyacetylene torch called a hot wrench but not a blue wrench. Do you do mostly gas welding? I have plenty of choices at the work shop, oxyacetylene, a little 120V portable stick welder, small engine driven portable welder, a nice ESAB multi-process machine Mig/DC Tig/Stick, and a Nice ESAB Tig welder with AC and high frequency start.

For Aluminum and small projects I mostly use the dedicated Tig machine with high frequency start as it gives the best quality weld and changing over from aluminum to stainless or carbon steel is fast just have to change tungsten pure tungsten for aluminum, thoriated for steel, that and a couple dial changes high frequency on for Aluminum start only for steel and AC for aluminum DC for steel. Have even welded lighter gauge copper with this machine up to 1/16" maybe 1/8" use bare copper electrical wire for the filler rod.

For projects with a lot of weld bead I use the MIG or wire feed as it is still very good quality weld with no slag chipping and the fastest method as you just pull the trigger and go no changing rods. Takes a 33lb spool and has pretty good duty cycle. Have the spoolgun for aluminum welding works well once you get the hang of it you just have to move very fast as it really sprays some metal out.

I dont use the stick welder unless there is no other choice, mostly for outdoor work where there is too much breeze to use a gas shielded welder like the Mig or tig it blows the shielding gas away. Or out in the field where I have no power and must use the engine driven welder.

I still like oxyacetylene it is very similar to tig just using flame instead of electric arc and versatile, its portable and you can weld, braze, solder, heat and cut I can get a fine weld on anything except aluminum. I have heard that it is possible to oxyweld aluminum but haven't had much luck with it.


Got back from the inlaws yesterday went up to their place in Western PA for thanksgiving did a little target shooting with the BIL, guy has an arsenal, shot the AK-47, a nice target .45, and a couple of big revolvers 41 mag and 44 mag. He has a tommy gun with the violin case real neat gun, didnt shoot it this time but that one is a lot of fun.

Sounds like you had a good thanksgiving, was good here too. I may get back to bow making in the next couple of days.


Jeff:)

"Get the Blue Wrench out, it'll come off of there"

OA for cutting only, have a small MIG/Tig and an old stick welder.
I really like the Mig--
SIL is a machinist and can do just about anything, he's more familiar than I with same, they have to (attempt) to repair some of the electric motors from China (1000 Hp and up)--he says it's almost impossible to get a weld to stick--metallurgy is junk coming from there.
They chopper them out to Navy vessals to do onboard repairs periodically.

Venerable AK--yes I've shot a few;):)--have a .45 but the smoothest I shot was Doc friends Colt Gold Cup--a far cry from Mil issue (pre-Beretta).

Sounds like your friend has a Chicago Piano--the tommy,--friend of mine had a PPSh--darn thing sounded like a hornets nest ripping a pair of blue jeans apart when he touched it off--typical Bloc design--tough, reliable, high rate of fire and cheap to make--it's wicked.

Glad you had a bit of a Walkabout at T'giving does one good--Ax.

axhandle November 29, 2010 07:26 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 663385)
Just watched a show on the cooking show about cooking the Ossabaw hog. The Fourcoursemen use all local foods.

Well, Chick don't have to plan a hog hunt, SIL brother got chased back in to the house by a boar a couple weeks ago.
He has a mulch/ kitchen refuse pile out back at the treeline and the Boar didn't like him poking around in his food supply.
Rule of thumb for every one you see, count on at least 10 back in the "Bush"

'Bout Hog 'Killin weather--

Ajla November 29, 2010 08:33 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664152)
I wish ,Ajla one of the prettiest cats I've encountered.
Tomaz wanders in and out sometimes gone for days--he drops by to eat and rest periodically.
Made these a day or so before Thanksgiving, pecan and walnut Kolachi--

1.Tomaz
2.Kolachi

I'm glad I don't have to choose between the two pics, they both look so good!
While here it is seriously starting to look like winter! Rosy cheeks and all! ;)

axhandle November 29, 2010 09:13 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 664201)
I'm glad I don't have to choose between the two pics, they both look so good!
While here it is seriously starting to look like winter! Rosy cheeks and all! ;)

My neighbors cat looks just like it , only about 5 lbs heavier--it visits us.

I envy you Ajla, it never freezes the ponds or rivers here--never enough to support weight.
I would dearly love to be able to take one of those Ice Sailboats out--a Thermos of Glogg, cheese and bread--silk scarf blowing in the wake---"Hang on Today We cross the Zeider Zee";):D----what an Outing!!!

Stay warm, almost time to burn some Myrrh--;)

Garlicluvr November 29, 2010 09:15 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664156)
"Get the Blue Wrench out, it'll come off of there"

OA for cutting only, have a small MIG/Tig and an old stick welder.
I really like the Mig--
SIL is a machinist and can do just about anything, he's more familiar than I with same, they have to (attempt) to repair some of the electric motors from China (1000 Hp and up)--he says it's almost impossible to get a weld to stick--metallurgy is junk coming from there.
They chopper them out to Navy vessals to do onboard repairs periodically.

Venerable AK--yes I've shot a few;):)--have a .45 but the smoothest I shot was Doc friends Colt Gold Cup--a far cry from Mil issue (pre-Beretta).

Sounds like your friend has a Chicago Piano--the tommy,--friend of mine had a PPSh--darn thing sounded like a hornets nest ripping a pair of blue jeans apart when he touched it off--typical Bloc design--tough, reliable, high rate of fire and cheap to make--it's wicked.

Glad you had a bit of a Walkabout at T'giving does one good--Ax.

Ax: The .45 was sweet BIL has his own machine shop and does some custom ones all based on Model 911 but tweaked and peaked for max smoothness and accuracy. 45's are his favorite so he has quite a few probable a half dozen or more at any given time. The one we shot was his goto target competition gun and very accurate. We were shooting metallic turkey silouhettes at 50 yards and using a post to steady myself a bit I was able to pick off four with five shots and I havent shot a handgun in years.

Finally lit off the woodstove had a couple of fires over the weekend. Love the smell of woodsmoke especially cherry.

This morning had a hard frost with thick fog. The chill in the air and the smell of leaves and earth were very pleasant.

Jeff:)

axhandle November 29, 2010 10:36 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I still have a .45--;)

When the Low Fog sets in here, everyone wants to know when I will burn Christmas Cherry, along with some aromatic Pine--

Garlicluvr November 29, 2010 11:31 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664257)
I still have a .45--;)

When the Low Fog sets in here, everyone wants to know when I will burn Christmas Cherry, along with some aromatic Pine--

The pine does smell nice too. I have tons of eastern red cedar on the place so always have some cut up branches for starting fires, cedar smell is heavenly.


Jeff:)

axhandle November 29, 2010 11:40 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
"As I lit my candle to climb the damp, stone stairs to the North Tower, an answer to my dear Friends letter of , last, and on my mind: my Hearth Mouse came out"

"And what is the Fare of the Eve?--, my Friends have brought in Chestnuts, wood for the fire, and cheese and bread, !"

"I wish you the Eve, my Friend, but do not throw ones self about too much, and save some wood for the Morning Lark"

axhandle November 29, 2010 11:42 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 664283)
The pine does smell nice too. I have tons of eastern red cedar on the place so always have some cut up branches for starting fires, cedar smell is heavenly.


Jeff:)

You got red cedar, and worried about bows, and comfort--;)

Garlicluvr November 29, 2010 11:54 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664291)
You got red cedar, and worried about bows, and comfort--;)

Ax: Was wondering about cedar bows. Red cedar is easy to work and somewhat flexible but also a bit brittle. Have you ever tried it on bows?

One whole side of my property is lined with red cedar, plus some in the woods. I harvested a half dozen this spring for fence posts.


Jeff:)

axhandle November 29, 2010 12:02 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 664303)
Ax: Was wondering about cedar bows. Red cedar is easy to work and somewhat flexible but also a bit brittle. Have you ever tried it on bows?

One whole side of my property is lined with red cedar, plus some in the woods. I harvested a half dozen this spring for fence posts.


Jeff:)

Extremely good for keeping bugs 'Abay, vermin and Light 'fer 'Tha Carry--aromatic and floats when all else fails--

Ajla November 30, 2010 08:58 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664223)
My neighbors cat looks just like it , only about 5 lbs heavier--it visits us.

I envy you Ajla, it never freezes the ponds or rivers here--never enough to support weight.
I would dearly love to be able to take one of those Ice Sailboats out--a Thermos of Glogg, cheese and bread--silk scarf blowing in the wake---"Hang on Today We cross the Zeider Zee";):D----what an Outing!!!

Stay warm, almost time to burn some Myrrh--;)

The last time the river froze was in the sixties, and for the last 18 years it wasn't cold enough to skate on the lakes, so a whole generation missed out on the fun!
But, who knows, it's cold early this year! :) Global warming?

axhandle November 30, 2010 10:39 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 664892)
The last time the river froze was in the sixties, and for the last 18 years it wasn't cold enough to skate on the lakes, so a whole generation missed out on the fun!
But, who knows, it's cold early this year! :) Global warming?

Ajla, I remember in that time, early'60's very unusual here,--I have some buried pics, of me on a Pond,--and I agree--the generation missed out on so many memories--the Honed Skates- good for miles , and a happy return-much fun and reverlry-wholsome-"To get back to Baba's Frische's Brot, maybe some good vegetable soup, and good butter, and warmth of a well maintained and cordial kitchen--Oh Well, I am Drifting Off--;):)

axhandle November 30, 2010 11:08 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
3 Attachment(s)
Missus and I found this, the weekend, 1890's,and what better a piece to write Memoirs on, do some Pen and Inks--I'm good--My Pelikans,pen tips, and E'Special Paper finally came to me--Und , "Wo Binst, Ax"---chuckle always the man behind the Camera--

axhandle November 30, 2010 12:27 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Instead of turning one's self inward,think about all the Troops, in a "Land ,Far Far Away"--well, get off your butts-- Now!!--do something--and I hope the Guys and Gals, in the Field see this--Ax.

Garlicluvr December 1, 2010 07:02 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664984)
Missus and I found this, the weekend, 1890's,and what better a piece to write Memoirs on, do some Pen and Inks--I'm good--My Pelikans,pen tips, and E'Special Paper finally came to me--Und , "Wo Binst, Ax"---chuckle always the man behind the Camera--

Nice find Ax: I like the figure on the fold out desk.

Jeff:)

skiracer December 1, 2010 07:05 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664984)
Missus and I found this, the weekend, 1890's,and what better a piece to write Memoirs on, do some Pen and Inks--I'm good--My Pelikans,pen tips, and E'Special Paper finally came to me--Und , "Wo Binst, Ax"---chuckle always the man behind the Camera--

Texas High Boy and looks like a decent one. nice pickup ax.

axhandle December 1, 2010 08:30 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 665419)
Nice find Ax: I like the figure on the fold out desk.

Jeff:)

Got to do some repro work on the decoration, some of it is missing--the locks are all mortised in.

While on my mind, re: bow laminates I used Elmers 2 part waterproof glue when I built a saiboat.
It looks and smells like grape juice, but will skunk you out in a confined space--:)very good stuff.

Glad you got to do some 'Shootin over the holidays, I'm long overdue and miss it.

axhandle December 1, 2010 08:35 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 665420)
Texas High Boy and looks like a decent one. nice pickup ax.

Indebted to you ,Ski I had no idea except a secretary--no cartouches or marks except penciled number 13 on some inside pieces--very good shape--a user--

Thanks--

axhandle December 1, 2010 08:40 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 665419)
Nice find Ax: I like the figure on the fold out desk.

Jeff:)

Jeff, I have made due note of your welding tips back on another post, in my infancy on Mig and Tig-- and your post--most helpful--Ax.

axhandle December 1, 2010 11:11 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Off to Doc here in a bit, 60 mile round trip via interstate--got to blow the soot out of my rig.---It's like Talladega out there--on amphetamines.

Garlicluvr December 1, 2010 11:33 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665466)
Got to do some repro work on the decoration, some of it is missing--the locks are all mortised in.

While on my mind, re: bow laminates I used Elmers 2 part waterproof glue when I built a saiboat.
It looks and smells like grape juice, but will skunk you out in a confined space--:)very good stuff.

Glad you got to do some 'Shootin over the holidays, I'm long overdue and miss it.

Ax: I will try to find the elemers 2-part waterproof glue. I used Titebond 2 waterproof wood glue the same stuff I use on most all of my woodworking glue-ups. I know it bonds well to wood just dont know how it will hold up to repeated flexing, shock and vibration.


Jeff:)

Garlicluvr December 1, 2010 11:50 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665479)
Jeff, I have made due note of your welding tips back on another post, in my infancy on Mig and Tig-- and your post--most helpful--Ax.

You are welcome Ax I really like Tig as it gives the best quality weld and you have very precise control over heat input, with the same rig you can weld stuff as thin as a beer can or as thick as 1/2" or more just by changing tungsten size and foot pedal control of the welding current. I find I can even go back and reflow weld that is a little rough or didnt flow properly. It is also good for filling holes, use the foot pedal like an car accelerator, set max current with your dial then pedal lets you go from zero to max.

As I said before for big projects where you have to put down lots of weld bead you cant beat a Mig gun. Also if you do have to work outside where wind is an issue flux core wire for a mig works good. In fact they are starting to use it more and more in skyscraper construction as it is much more efficient, saves time and material.


Have a good Doc visit and make it back safe. You got a roll cage and racing harness in that rig of yours?:D

Jeff:)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
★ IDigMyGarden™ is a trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2015 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★