IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

jbest123 December 1, 2010 01:06 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
An antique re finisher received a civil war field desk to restore. He made detailed drawings of all the parts and asked me to make him six desks. Well, I made seven and there is one setting in my living room.

http://www.jbest123.com/woodworking/...vilwardesk.jpg

skiracer December 1, 2010 01:41 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 664984)
Missus and I found this, the weekend, 1890's,and what better a piece to write Memoirs on, do some Pen and Inks--I'm good--My Pelikans,pen tips, and E'Special Paper finally came to me--Und , "Wo Binst, Ax"---chuckle always the man behind the Camera--

I've always known this type of desk/secretary as a Texas High Boy. Some may call it something else but here is something out of one of our antique furniture guides and price catalogues detailing some examples of them and what they are worth. Our book is kind of old so these prices are most likely on the low end. This type of desk/secretary was typical and abundant around the end of the 19th century and they made them out of oak, cherry, walnut, mohogany and a number of combinations of these woods and a number of different styles. I see where a couple of the drawers werent in the drawer openings. Did you take them out or were they missing when you found the piece? Anyway it looks to be a nice piece regardless.
If I were going to clean it up I would take some denatured alcohol and a very fine grade of steel wool, perhaps #0000 or #000 but nothing coarser, and gently rub the surface with the alcohol and steel wool. then wipe that residue off with a cotton cloth and alcohol. do not swamp any glue joints with the alcohol as it may loosen the glue. a slow gentle process.
If I were going to put a price on it I would think somewhere between $350/450 from what I see from your pics and what I know of the market for this type of furniture. Of course that is with the full compliment of drawers. its becoming harder to find them anymore and especially in decent condition.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7...xashighboy.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

skiracer December 1, 2010 01:43 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbest123 (Post 665718)
An antique re finisher received a civil war field desk to restore. He made detailed drawings of all the parts and asked me to make him six desks. Well, I made seven and there is one setting in my living room.

http://www.jbest123.com/woodworking/...vilwardesk.jpg

nice piece and work john. is that a water or oil based varnish finish or some sort of tung oil?

Autumn December 1, 2010 02:04 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
lov the twin beveled mirrors Ax, looks like something very special. bet the missus likes it 2.

jbest123 December 1, 2010 02:08 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 665748)
nice piece and work john. is that a water or oil based varnish finish or some sort of tung oil?

I only tried water based stain and finish once and did not like it. The finish is Jacobean stain and either tung oil or Deft with a pumice rub. John

skiracer December 1, 2010 02:16 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbest123 (Post 665761)
I only tried water based stain and finish once and did not like it. The finish is Jacobean stain and either tung oil or Deft with a pumice rub. John

it looks good and clean work. i love tung oil and use it almost exclusively now on all of my work except tabletops where i need a high gloss hard protective finish.

axhandle December 1, 2010 03:02 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbest123 (Post 665718)
An antique re finisher received a civil war field desk to restore. He made detailed drawings of all the parts and asked me to make him six desks. Well, I made seven and there is one setting in my living room.

http://www.jbest123.com/woodworking/...vilwardesk.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous, John--I believe I have seen similar ones in some of the CW articles and pics.
It's a beauty--Ax.

axhandle December 1, 2010 03:07 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 665756)
lov the twin beveled mirrors Ax, looks like something very special. bet the missus likes it 2.

They are the origionals, thick and the old silver cyanide process--only two little specks.
We hardly ever splurge on things, but we both had to have this one.
Hope you are well--and thanks for post---Ax.

axhandle December 1, 2010 03:09 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I got stuck on Behr's Swedish Tung oil finish, my favorite--and for those things away from water--Orange Shellac--

axhandle December 1, 2010 03:19 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 665746)
I've always known this type of desk/secretary as a Texas High Boy. Some may call it something else but here is something out of one of our antique furniture guides and price catalogues detailing some examples of them and what they are worth. Our book is kind of old so these prices are most likely on the low end. This type of desk/secretary was typical and abundant around the end of the 19th century and they made them out of oak, cherry, walnut, mohogany and a number of combinations of these woods and a number of different styles. I see where a couple of the drawers werent in the drawer openings. Did you take them out or were they missing when you found the piece? Anyway it looks to be a nice piece regardless.
If I were going to clean it up I would take some denatured alcohol and a very fine grade of steel wool, perhaps #0000 or #000 but nothing coarser, and gently rub the surface with the alcohol and steel wool. then wipe that residue off with a cotton cloth and alcohol. do not swamp any glue joints with the alcohol as it may loosen the glue. a slow gentle process.
If I were going to put a price on it I would think somewhere between $350/450 from what I see from your pics and what I know of the market for this type of furniture. Of course that is with the full compliment of drawers. its becoming harder to find them anymore and especially in decent condition.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7...xashighboy.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sharp eye, and thanks ,Ski I posted the wrong pic--it lacks 1 lock,(already located one) an escutcheon and a key--otherwise all there.

Double thanks for price and finish info,--I came in 'in the Black' on this one--:)

Autumn December 1, 2010 04:26 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665793)
They are the origionals, thick and the old silver cyanide process--only two little specks.
We hardly ever splurge on things, but we both had to have this one.
Hope you are well--and thanks for post---Ax.

I could tell by looking at them they were original, lucky find Ax. Plus, you and missus had the joy in finding it. Nice to know when to splurge...was just reading the post by Herb asking for prayers, Herb is in my prayers as are your son and his family. All is well here, still cutting back but things are good. Kids all have their jobs and are working hard to hang onto them. No time to whine or complain, better to shine at what you do. A good time for families to pitch in and help each other. Stay well and continue those fantastic finds.:)

skiracer December 1, 2010 05:11 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665797)
Sharp eye, and thanks ,Ski I posted the wrong pic--it lacks 1 lock,(already located one) an escutcheon and a key--otherwise all there.

Double thanks for price and finish info,--I came in 'in the Black' on this one--:)

Lisa and i are antique hounds. you got yourself a primo piece. first time i have seen one like this with the two oval mirrors at the top. If you have a problem locating a key or an estecheon or a handle pull put a pic of the piece you need and I just might have one lying around in my box of stuff or might run into the one you need. ive got a load of that old hardware. and no charge and no problemo if i have it in the box. we are always going to estate and garage sales and flea markets so i see and come across alot of the old hardware.

Garlicluvr December 1, 2010 08:36 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 665794)
I got stuck on Behr's Swedish Tung oil finish, my favorite--and for those things away from water--Orange Shellac--

I am a fan of tung oil too and also of a shellac and wax finish. I do three to four thin coats of shellac buffing between each one then topcoat with finishing wax and buff to a nice deep luster. Gives the finish a nice depth and if it dulls a bit with time just buff apply another thin coat of finishing wax and buff out.


Again that desk is a beauty Ax, and unique with the oval mirrors.

Jeff:)

axhandle December 2, 2010 07:09 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumn (Post 665842)
I could tell by looking at them they were original, lucky find Ax. Plus, you and missus had the joy in finding it. Nice to know when to splurge...was just reading the post by Herb asking for prayers, Herb is in my prayers as are your son and his family. All is well here, still cutting back but things are good. Kids all have their jobs and are working hard to hang onto them. No time to whine or complain, better to shine at what you do. A good time for families to pitch in and help each other. Stay well and continue those fantastic finds.:)

You sum to have a very strong constitution, Autumn, am glad things are at least going uphill for you.
I think of you often, and reflect back on a post or two---"Get out in the Rain, on a dusty road and smell the earth, it washes one's soul clean"--Ax.

axhandle December 2, 2010 07:23 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 665860)
Lisa and i are antique hounds. you got yourself a primo piece. first time i have seen one like this with the two oval mirrors at the top. If you have a problem locating a key or an estecheon or a handle pull put a pic of the piece you need and I just might have one lying around in my box of stuff or might run into the one you need. ive got a load of that old hardware. and no charge and no problemo if i have it in the box. we are always going to estate and garage sales and flea markets so i see and come across alot of the old hardware.

Indebted to you--attached pics ---when you have time to look.

The lock for the desk, as I found on a supplier was called Desk Lock--guess? they were standard as the measurements were , as I extrapolated a fit.
The Pen Box (attached pic) knob is not glued nor screwed in, the whole thing was turned on a lathe.!

There is a place about 5 miles from me, a concrete bldg,about 2000 sq ft. went in a couple of times, the old fellow has since died and the bldg is still there with contents.
Ski, you wouldn't believe what is there, merchantile from ages still in the box, brass, bronze, iron you name it--stacked to the ceiling and little paths throughout---not new stuff either talking vintage and antique, stacked to the ceiling.

Have been trying to locate owners, and reasonably surmise it's tied up in a will or ??Bldg is maintained, and locked up.

Heck I'd move in, throw a bunk and hot plate in and live there--

axhandle December 2, 2010 07:36 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 665936)
I am a fan of tung oil too and also of a shellac and wax finish. I do three to four thin coats of shellac buffing between each one then topcoat with finishing wax and buff to a nice deep luster. Gives the finish a nice depth and if it dulls a bit with time just buff apply another thin coat of finishing wax and buff out.


Again that desk is a beauty Ax, and unique with the oval mirrors.

Jeff:)

Jeff,
Sorry it took me a while to post this--for you and Little One--excuse the roughage of the diagram.I will post measurements of mine a bit later--it is a youth bow simple construction and a good teacher for younger ages.

P.S. A pic you will appreciate--detail of lock, all mortised in.

Pick up some Hide Glue--the old reliable--amazing stuff.

Be darned--post bow diagram later--really miffed at microsoft-pic- software , it can lose things in a heartbeat-

axhandle December 2, 2010 07:45 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here we go--

Garlicluvr December 2, 2010 08:01 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Thanks for the bow info Ax. I may be able to repurpose the cherry lamination I broke and make a shorter kids bow out of what is left.

I like the mortised in locks. I am a big fan of traditional joinery, Mortise and tenon, dovetail, dado, and rabbets along with some glue and/or pegs/pins where needed. I love timber framing joints, my dream is to build a timber frame house, and maybe barn also.

As a practice project I want to do a timberframed swing-set/playground for the boys.

Used to have an adz somewhere but it may have been lost in one of my moves or divorce. I also had a functional broad axe, I still have a good broad axe head just needs a handle and sharpening. Also have a nice big slick 3 1/2" wide blade and several good large timber framing chisels.


Jeff:)

axhandle December 2, 2010 08:49 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 666161)
Thanks for the bow info Ax. I may be able to repurpose the cherry lamination I broke and make a shorter kids bow out of what is left.

I like the mortised in locks. I am a big fan of traditional joinery, Mortise and tenon, dovetail, dado, and rabbets along with some glue and/or pegs/pins where needed. I love timber framing joints, my dream is to build a timber frame house, and maybe barn also.

As a practice project I want to do a timberframed swing-set/playground for the boys.

Used to have an adz somewhere but it may have been lost in one of my moves or divorce. I also had a functional broad axe, I still have a good broad axe head just needs a handle and sharpening. Also have a nice big slick 3 1/2" wide blade and several good large timber framing chisels.


Jeff:)

Cherry splits along the grain, brittle for combat, good for ornamental.

I have my G'Dads "Track Adze"--used for laying down rairoad ties--Adze on one end and a hammer on the other to drive spikes in--Love the Broadax.

A note , in passing--structures--Locust pegs-square--in a round hole of the structure-pounded in by a hickory mallet---never worry about 70 mile an hour winds again--

If, by chance soak some seasond hickory staves in kerosene, for the winter--next summer-a pleasant surprise--

axhandle December 2, 2010 09:56 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
"Wo, ist Ajla?!!"--
Rather a fine Frosty 'Morn here in Dixie"---"I thought we might go out for a stroll, by the market,haggle a bit, in the fortnight of Icey Winter-- purchase some wares, and return to a cozy Kitchen, a Board Game --Perhaps--;) and a "Good Sleep"--after all---;)--we earned it---Ax.

Caravaggio--"The Cardsharps"

axhandle December 2, 2010 10:19 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Rather -factual, romantic --appreciative---:

"Paw, Paw",(Last Weekend) I brought you something" ( He had a bag full, and gave me one--;)-chuckle)

"Oh" 'an, what be that--?"

"Onions that walk, they make under the ground, and from the top"--Egyptians!

He is a jewel, dark hair, dark eyes, mind of an Alchemist--comeing over to spend the night, 9yrs old,--
Reciprocation---Broke out the Bottle Rockets , and Black Cats--firecrackers, should be a nice weekend--;):)

Ajla December 2, 2010 10:20 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 666276)
"Wo, ist Ajla?!!"--
Rather a fine Frosty 'Morn here in Dixie"---"I thought we might go out for a stroll, by the market,haggle a bit, in the fortnight of Icey Winter-- purchase some wares, and return to a cozy Kitchen, a Board Game --Perhaps--;) and a "Good Sleep"--after all---;)--we earned it---Ax.

Caravaggio--"The Cardsharps"

Good painting! The market is tomorrow and I don't haggle! Even some snow fell!
Now if Gunnar stops blowing that icy wind our way, I'll go for a brisk walk!

axhandle December 2, 2010 11:06 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Well, been up since 0330, Gz and Chaq,just got their Ears an Eyes Opened-----Hmmmmm-(A slam styorfoam--"Cuppa"----)-"How 'Bout some Beluga Caviar for Breakfast, 'an dont try to Outflank, me,chuckle--much in Reserve.

axhandle December 3, 2010 08:48 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 666294)
Good painting! The market is tomorrow and I don't haggle! Even some snow fell!
Now if Gunnar stops blowing that icy wind our way, I'll go for a brisk walk!

Boy, Poland is getting hammered!

Ajla December 3, 2010 09:10 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 666912)
Boy, Poland is getting hammered!

It is too! Did you hear about those cars being stuck in the snow and a bear walking up to them? :eek: I had a good walk in the bit of snow that fell, but it's starting to thaw already!

axhandle December 3, 2010 09:19 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Jeff some of my "wanta do's"--bodkins, rope cutter, and a Swallowtail,Swallowtails designed to get caught up in horse harness etc and cut them up.
Other day you mentioned roll cage etc--the interstate here is great--the drivers--mostly insane--drove it for 18yrs, no accidents but to give you an idea it's called Malfunction Junction in the State jargon.
I threatened once to buy an old '67 Caprice, weld the doors shut and install railroad tracks all 'round.:)
You are a very learned person, versatile, knowledgeable and hands on--stay that way--the earth needs same.


Ski--Seen the new ordnance put in the field--programmable individual grenade launcher-- it can be programmed by the user for air burst, etc
A far cry from the old H&R "Thumpers" we had--had a guy who could knock a coconut out of a tree at 75 meters, just reflex shooting.


Ajla, since it's snowing there , ever made snow ice cream?--just clean snow, cream and sugar, a rare treat for us down South.

Got real cold here this morning --30 degrees--:)

axhandle December 3, 2010 09:21 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 666927)
It is too! Did you hear about those cars being stuck in the snow and a bear walking up to them? :eek: I had a good walk in the bit of snow that fell, but it's starting to thaw already!

Saw that, rather spooky.There was a truck accident up North, motorists were backed up for miles and most had to spend the night stranded.
Wow, guess I shouldn't complain about it not snowing here much.

axhandle December 3, 2010 10:50 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Missus dropped a very pleasant surprise on me this morning--she bought tickets to a Trans Siberian Orchestra concert next Sat.
Last night she said I have a surprise for you, but I won't tell you--you know how the story goes--couldn't resist telling me.
I'm excited!!!

chickweed December 3, 2010 10:52 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 667042)
Missus dropped a very pleasant surprise on me this morning--she bought tickets to a Trans Siberian Orchestra concert next Sat.
Last night she said I have a surprise for you, but I won't tell you--you know how the story goes--couldn't resist telling me.
I'm excited!!!

Oh - you are going to love that!

axhandle December 3, 2010 10:55 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 667046)
Oh - you are going to love that!

Had heard of it ,Chick--looked it up and it looks right down my alley--we don't splurge much at all-- but had some good breaks here in the last 6 months--guess it's time to play "Ketchup"
Tell "Bronco" hello for me and give Yoda &Co. a pat.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
★ IDigMyGarden™ is a trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2015 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★