IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle December 28, 2010 09:45 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 682154)
Ax,
I do see travis as that and as someone struggling with his those demons within himself. but, and i dont remember it that clearly though, what brought about those demons. i know he was struggling with the age difference and his own jealousy issues with her. but once he reunited the child with his mother why did he leave again. the movie leads you to think that they will all get back together and live happily ever after but they dont. it never gives an explanation as to why he leaves again and what happens to him. i guess thats where "dark" came from in my mind. i could only think that he still had those unresolved issues in his head. something was going on but we never get the answer.

Your last sentance is the key, "no we dont" is the answer.

Travis threw everything off, and did what nature gave us--the right thing.

w8in4dave December 28, 2010 09:45 AM

Well I guess now I am going to have to watch it!! ... Will I cry?? Is it really a tear jerker???

axhandle December 28, 2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 682167)
Well I guess now I am going to have to watch it!! ... Will I cry?? Is it really a tear jerker???

Get the tissues out Dave, movie has to be watched in it's uninteruppted entiretry to grasp the overall theme--it's Well Done--:)

axhandle December 28, 2010 10:18 AM

Travis--and I recall in spite of deprivation- he put the cap back on the milk jug---watch the movie , Dave.:)

axhandle December 28, 2010 10:25 AM

Ski--"Moon in the Gutter"---another deep " 'Obscure ' "-- the Ferrari on the docks-;):)-

w8in4dave December 28, 2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 682206)
Travis--and I recall in spite of deprivation- he put the cap back on the milk jug---watch the movie , Dave.:)

Will Do ax and will let you know :D

Garlicluvr December 28, 2010 02:35 PM

Ax: Glad to hear you had a white Christmas in Bama. Pretty much unheard of. Funny thing is you got about the same amount of snowfall as I did and most of mine is melting today.

With what Chick got to my south and Ski to my north you would think I would have gotten walloped too. Instead it went right around.

Boys are getting a bit of cabin fever they haven't been out in a few days as it has been pretty bitter with the cold and high winds. Need to get them outside a bit today.

Hope the yule log was warm and fragrant. My woodstove is getting a lot of use.

Jeff:)

axhandle December 28, 2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 682335)
Ax: Glad to hear you had a white Christmas in Bama. Pretty much unheard of. Funny thing is you got about the same amount of snowfall as I did and most of mine is melting today.

With what Chick got to my south and Ski to my north you would think I would have gotten walloped too. Instead it went right around.

Boys are getting a bit of cabin fever they haven't been out in a few days as it has been pretty bitter with the cold and high winds. Need to get them outside a bit today.

Hope the yule log was warm and fragrant. My woodstove is getting a lot of use.

Been a good one here in Dixie, snow melted yesterday, roads all clear--didn't even get frozen over.

The Yule Log what a treat--G'son -2yrs old helped load it in--was about 6ft long and 12 inches in diameter--course had to cut it into servicicable pieces.

Get outside and make friends with Mother Nature, makes one alive---;):)

Glad you didn't get dumped on-:)

skiracer December 28, 2010 05:55 PM

yea, i took jeff's snow!:mad:

axhandle December 29, 2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 682429)
yea, i took jeff's snow!:mad:

You really did ,Ski--just looking at your pics reminded me of "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon":)

Come on down in the Spring/Summer--we'll go barefoot on a lazy summer's day, alongside a sand banked creek, the one's that a leaf takes an hour to go 20 feet-Maybe not even bait the hooks--:) Doze off in the Summer Sun underneath a fragrant Sweet Gum tree--the Missy's giggling-- oh well, getting poetic here, got to quit while I'm ahead--have to maintain my Composure , you know---Idig might pop me---:D

skiracer December 29, 2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 682684)
You really did ,Ski--just looking at your pics reminded me of "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon":)

Come on down in the Spring/Summer--we'll go barefoot on a lazy summer's day, alongside a sand banked creek, the one's that a leaf takes an hour to go 20 feet-Maybe not even bait the hooks--:) Doze off in the Summer Sun underneath a fragrant Sweet Gum tree--the Missy's giggling-- oh well, getting poetic here, got to quit while I'm ahead--have to maintain my Composure , you know---Idig might pop me---:D

i could get into that Ax. i'll keep it in mind and see if i can get the schedule to workout.

axhandle December 29, 2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 682714)
i could get into that Ax. i'll keep it in mind and see if i can get the schedule to workout.

Buddy, Hope you dig out of that Iceblock there,--it's only 50F here, --

Russian Tea:--"half a gallon of Black Tea, oranges, cloves, lemon and sugar"--

Serve hot---and a Shot of "Very Good Vodka" , on the side--keeps the sinuses going---;):)

skiracer December 29, 2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 682720)
Buddy, Hope you dig out of that Iceblock there,--it's only 50F here, --

Russian Tea:--"half a gallon of Black Tea, oranges, cloves, lemon and sugar"--

Serve hot---and a Shot of "Very Good Vodka" , on the side--keeps the sinuses going---;):)

Ax, i have a friend in west virginia that makes a little of his own moonshine every year. this past year he sent me another qt. mason jar full of some of the most powerful white lighting you can imagine. I could send you a couple of shots of it to try if you wanted it. talk about clearing out the sinues! it is pure and dynamite.

axhandle December 30, 2010 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Gilera Saturno"--"we donna make them to stop, on'ally, to go!!"

Hmm--- Barber Motorsports Museum--bout 25 miles out--got the origional---:)

tweed December 30, 2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 683293)
"Gilera Saturno"--"we donna make them to stop, on'ally, to go!!"

Hmm--- Barber Motorsports Museum--bout 25 miles out--got the origional---:)

Nice.
Speaking of old motorcycles, reminds me of a bluegrass song by Del McCoury about and old motorcycle:
'52 Vincent Black Lightning

Said Red Molly To James
That's a fine motor bike
A girl could feel special
On any such alike
Said James to Red Molly
My hats off to you
It's a Vincent Black Lightning
And I've seen you on corners
And cafes it seems
Red hair and black leather
My favorite color scheme
And he pulled her on behind
And down to Knoxville
They did ride

Steve

axhandle December 30, 2010 10:37 AM

Miss , Ajla--she is off in the Harz Mountains--on "Holiday"

Tell "Molly Mole" hello for me--

axhandle December 30, 2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 683302)
Nice.
Speaking of old motorcycles, reminds me of a bluegrass song by Del McCoury about and old motorcycle:
'52 Vincent Black Lightning

Said Red Molly To James
That's a fine motor bike
A girl could feel special
On any such alike
Said James to Red Molly
My hats off to you
It's a Vincent Black Lightning
And I've seen you on corners
And cafes it seems
Red hair and black leather
My favorite color scheme
And he pulled her on behind
And down to Knoxville
They did ride

Steve

Sir Tweed , always comes through---"The Vincent!"--a Red Haired Gal, hangin on the back--hair blowing in the wind--What More--can, one ask--:)

Thanks--

tweed December 30, 2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 683318)
Sir Tweed , always comes through---"The Vincent!"--a Red Haired Gal, hangin on the back--hair blowing in the wind--What More--can, one ask--:)

Thanks--

You are welcome.
Nothin' like simple pleasures. ;)

Steve

tweed December 30, 2010 11:12 AM

Reminds of a sad family story also, Ax, although before my time and an incredible followup as well, if you have time to read.
In August of 1951, my Uncle Obery, 21, bought a 1947 Harley Knucklehead. Grandpa, who was rather blunt, told Obery that he gave him 3 months to be dead on that motorcycle.
Dad, who was 10 at that time, said that Obery could bring that thing down the dirt road in front of their house, lock it down and make it turn on the front wheel.
In late October, Obery had been "Handing" tobacco for Chapel Tweed, who also happens to be my wifes grandfather.
He and Charlie Cook took off on that Harley, heading for a Halloween Carnival in nearby Hot Springs.
They were headed up the Hot Springs Mountain and in the middle of a left hand turn the bike went into a skid. Obery, who was not wearing a helmet, died of massive head wounds. Charlie survived.

Fast Forward 57 years, 2008:

At the Tweed family reunion in 2008, a gentleman of Tweed descent from Greeneville, TN, showed up.
His name was Frank Fillers and he was almost 80 years old.
We got to talking and somehow (devine intervention/fate/irony?) he got to talking about buying a motorcycle when he was a young man.
Mr. Fillers said "I came up into North Carolina that winter to see my garndparents. I had went down to Talmadges store and your Grandpa Ted was there. Ted said that he was getting tired of seeing his wife Lula (My Grandma) look out the window, staring at that motorcycle and crying. So, I asked Ted what he wanted for it. I gave him either $150 or $200 for it. I took that motorcycle to Tennessee and traded it for a bunch of farm equipment and that is how I made my living..........from that motorcycle. Over the years, I tried to find it to buy it back, but never could."
That's the short version.
Cool and ironic, huh?

Steve

axhandle December 30, 2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 683324)
You are welcome.
Nothin' like simple pleasures. ;)

Steve

Simple pleasures or Gems----I'd Say both --something that todays ?Logic?, doesn't seem to fathom.

tweed December 30, 2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 683343)
Simple pleasures or Gems----I'd Say both --something that todays ?Logic?, doesn't seem to fathom.

Agreed on all counts.

Steve

chickweed December 30, 2010 01:26 PM

There are new homes being built in my neighborhood. Inexpensive and quick occupancy. Heating bill could be a bear, tho!
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...ardens/013.jpg

skiracer December 30, 2010 01:28 PM

chick, now thats pretty neat!

Garlicluvr December 30, 2010 09:35 PM

Chick that is neat. They have another problem cant see one lasting through one of our summers.:D

Gotta watch the heater too get it too hot and your house melts.;)

chickweed December 30, 2010 09:58 PM

The kids "next door" did that. Then they built 2 more open ones with just 3 walls and a peep hole in the center wall - facing each other (the angles on the walls are more open than 90 degrees - they are flared). They use flexible snow shovels and catapult snow balls at each other!

w8in4dave December 30, 2010 11:21 PM

That is so cute Chick..Here I thought it was your new greenhouse :D .... Kids and snow huh?? Gotta love it!!

Ajla December 31, 2010 06:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The first pic is of the place we stayed when rain made it impossible to travel further up the mountain! Wonderful walking there, and I made a morellensirop snow sorbet!
Happy Sylvester!

axhandle December 31, 2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 683425)
There are new homes being built in my neighborhood. Inexpensive and quick occupancy. Heating bill could be a bear, tho!
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...ardens/013.jpg

neat--looks like my kinda bear Den--:)

axhandle December 31, 2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 683922)
The first pic is of the place we stayed when rain made it impossible to travel further up the mountain! Wonderful walking there, and I made a morellensirop snow sorbet!
Happy Sylvester!

Pretty there Ajla,---the icesicles --brrrr
Glad you are back and Gemutlikeit to you---:)

axhandle December 31, 2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweed (Post 683333)
Reminds of a sad family story also, Ax, although before my time and an incredible followup as well, if you have time to read.
In August of 1951, my Uncle Obery, 21, bought a 1947 Harley Knucklehead. Grandpa, who was rather blunt, told Obery that he gave him 3 months to be dead on that motorcycle.
Dad, who was 10 at that time, said that Obery could bring that thing down the dirt road in front of their house, lock it down and make it turn on the front wheel.
In late October, Obery had been "Handing" tobacco for Chapel Tweed, who also happens to be my wifes grandfather.
He and Charlie Cook took off on that Harley, heading for a Halloween Carnival in nearby Hot Springs.
They were headed up the Hot Springs Mountain and in the middle of a left hand turn the bike went into a skid. Obery, who was not wearing a helmet, died of massive head wounds. Charlie survived.

Fast Forward 57 years, 2008:

At the Tweed family reunion in 2008, a gentleman of Tweed descent from Greeneville, TN, showed up.
His name was Frank Fillers and he was almost 80 years old.
We got to talking and somehow (devine intervention/fate/irony?) he got to talking about buying a motorcycle when he was a young man.
Mr. Fillers said "I came up into North Carolina that winter to see my garndparents. I had went down to Talmadges store and your Grandpa Ted was there. Ted said that he was getting tired of seeing his wife Lula (My Grandma) look out the window, staring at that motorcycle and crying. So, I asked Ted what he wanted for it. I gave him either $150 or $200 for it. I took that motorcycle to Tennessee and traded it for a bunch of farm equipment and that is how I made my living..........from that motorcycle. Over the years, I tried to find it to buy it back, but never could."
That's the short version.
Cool and ironic, huh?

Steve

Neat short story there Tweed--thanks